Hope and Reality

Posted: 11/15/2012 by bc in Uncategorized

Last week I tried to craft an update on our guys out there playing but my heart just wasn’t it. Jeez, during the season or with hope of a season I always found time to post and chat hockey. Today, not so much.

Where the stakeholders seem to be is that the owners must decide if they’re willing to tank a season. They’ve got a couple of weeks after which time crafting any kind of season is a mockery. Not that the owners haven’t made a mockery of the game already.

The players, as we’ve learned through various reports planned to lose a season. Most organized their finances accordingly. The owners can eventually starve the players into submission. To do that they have to maintain the lockout at least into the 2013-14 league year.

I don’t want to say good-bye and won’t. In the event we don’t see NHL hockey and our Ducks back at it in the near future please know that hosting this blog for you has been a complete and total pleasure.

Update: Not sure what saddens me most, the loss of the season or the sudden realization that we may have already seen pending UFA’s Teemu Selanne, Corey Perry, Saku Koivu, Ryan Getzlaf and Nate Guenin play their final game  in a Ducks uni.

Nate Guenin is a depth Dman but jeez he sure played his heart out for us.

About these ads
Comments
  1. ggreen3 says:

And im one who loves and enjoys your blog on a regular basis. I too am saddened and i feel this will almost for sure carry into late 2013. And whats really sad as a Ducks season seat holder Sec-418 R-J, is that im beginning to not miss it. I’ve been going to the Long Beach State, and USC College games, ive ran over to Ontario to watch the Reign as well as watching the Wranglers in Vegas. So i get my hockey fix, and the rest of the time im consumed with College Football,College Basketball and Pro Football.

Will i come back? I truly dont know its going to take some consideration. How many times do i want to deal with work stoppages, and people pissing and moaning over millions that i cant comprehend. In the meantime i have a son protecting America who makes a fraction of what these “Professionals” make. And then i wonder if im making the right choice spending my disposable income on those who don’t truly appreciate it.

Keep it up NHL and NHLPA, and all the leaves will be on the ground.

2. bbdux93 says:

I haven’t posted a reply in a long time – it’s hard to keep on caring about something those involved seem intent on destroying. I go to NHL.com about once a week and the news there isn’t hopeful.

BC – you have enchanced my understanding and enjoyment of the game in so many ways, for that I am truly grateful. Like you I’m hoping there will be something of this season that can be saved.

The Bozos involved don’t seem to care as much about the game as do the fans, should we follow their lead.. :-(

3. bc says:

Hey Guys, thanks for the kind words. Yesterday the Commissioner apparently suggested a 2 week moratorium on negotiations. So let’s say they get back to the table and wrap this up at the end of the month. The season would start mid-December. They could get 50 games in by extending the season to the end of April and the playoffs to the end of June.
    To cram it all in during a shorter time period puts the health of the players at risk. Not that anybody gives a bat’s butt about injuries. It’s just part of the reference in the stakeholders making a mockery of the game.
    Cam Fowler signed with a Swedish team yesterday. Everyday a notable player moves on.

4. bbdux93 says:

Just like the players that are moving on, so are some of us fans.

On Saturday I went to a friend’s home & we watched a really good college hockey game between Wisconsin & Minnesota. There are other options and the people involved in resolving the NHL mess need to take notice.

5. czhokej says:

I am not dead yet, and I miss hockey, and I miss chatting with you guys and girls here.

6. yougetoutwhatyouputin says:

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

This phrase has always provided me the needed inspiration in whatever hurdles or obstacles I have phased…or just plain stupidity of life at times and the people that pass through…If we put this stoppage in perspective it is relatively meaningless.. I look forward to watching our Ducks play again…it is just a matter of time.

Happy Thanksgiving/Family Day!

7. bc says:

Hear ya bbdux93. I haven’t picked up a replacement mostly because the lockout didn’t seem like it would extend this far into the season. There’s lots of good hockey out there, from Tier to NCAA to ECHL. I still enjoy club hockey, especially the youngest ones. Before they’ve been taught how. Not sure if I shared this before.

A first after Christmas practice with, the kids are all breaking in new equipment. We took the ice and did our warm-ups and stretches. Bringing them to the neutral zone I spotted a new helmet and gave the kid a tap on the head, asking if it hurt? He said no. Then I slapped a kid with new shin pads and so on. Before the long the kids are vying for attention, pointing to new equipment and shouting, “Whack me Coach!”
    A group of Moms standing nearby but out of earshot saw what was going on and misunderstood. All they saw was some grown man beating their kids with a hockey stick. Retired Hockey Mom attempted to reassure them to no avail. They were coming and each was intent on outdoing the other with boasts about how they would beat me with a hockey stick.
    About the moment these angry Mom’s came into earshot I was telling the kids how lucky they were because their parents loved them and bought them all this great equipment and that they had nothing to be afraid of when the played hockey because their equipment would protect them.
    I was aware of the Moms at the player’s bench but ignored them. On the ice your focus is on the kids.
    After practice the kids all hugged their folks and thanked them. A couple teary eyed Moms thanked me but I didn’t get it.
    I never knew what those Moms had planned for me until after we left the rink when Retired Hockey Mom filled me in.
    Like czhokej, I ain’t dead yet either but there was that close call with the Hockey Moms ;)

Yeah this too shall pass yougetwhatyouputin but….when? Do we get our game back in January or sometime next season? Have we already seen the last of Teemu, Pears, Saku Koivu and Ryan Getzlaf in a Ducks uni? Even Bobby Ryan gave up on an early decision and has signed in Sweden.

• yougetoutwhatyouputin says:

When…for as long as it needs to be…The players have lost sight of the big pitcher. They play a game for a living…they provide entertainment and make a handsome living. The bottom-line is the owners/investment teams take all the risk (arenas, player salaries, etc…) period. The players have been blinded by greed and have forgotten that they can be replaced, we can all be replaced. The need for a players labor union in any sport is a joke. The definition of a labor union is as follows:

A labor union is an organization of workers who have banded together to achieve common goals such as protecting the integrity of its trade, achieving higher pay, increasing the number of employees an employer hires, and better working conditions.

No need for a labor union in sports…If anything, the labor union has hurt the integrity of the game, they all want to be billionaires, and if they continue in this downward spiral they will decrease the number of players as teams will fold. Fehr just announced that they may seek to “decertify as a union”, if this happens look for a reboot of the league. We are not the NFL and NBA, it will have repercussions.

Labor unions have killed many companies. Hostess the most recent victim… Sad, an 80+ year old company failed because 92% of the workers rejected the company’s proposal.

• bc says:

We see it differently yougetwhatyouputin. First, the issue today is the result of expansion into non-hockey markets and who, players or owners, will finance the expansion. It has absolutely nothing to do with collective bargaining. Hockey players ain’t cupcakes ;)
        Second, owners don’t finance arenas, taxpayers do. And finally, the idea that owners take all the risks is just factually wrong. From Hockey News Ken Campbell, reprinted by ESPN:

It has been well-documented that when Little Johnny begins his minor hockey career, his family has a better chance of winning the Powerball or 6-49 lotteries than he does of becoming an NHL player.

Let’s fast forward to about a decade later, then. By this time, Little Johnny has become an elite player in his age group and he’s either playing major junior or college hockey or he’s attracting some serious interest from one or both of them. Well now, you’d think, the odds of him cashing in on a career in the best league in the world would have just gone up astronomically.

Wrong again.

Actually, once a kid makes it to that level, he has somewhere in the neighborhood of a five percent chance of playing in the NHL….”

The current predicament the NHL finds itself is a direct result of expansion into non-hockey markets and who, players or owners, will pay for it. The disparate economic reality simply put is that revenue among the “have not” teams isn’t growing such that they can keep up with the ever more constantly increasing cap floor.

Collective bargaining has provided the NHL with the cost certainty that the owners sought in 2004-05. The labor peace resulting from the previous CBA has afforded the NHL phenomenal growth. It should be noted that currency exchange rates have contributed significantly to the financial health and viability of the Canadian based teams as well.

Desertification might destroy all the good built from the last CBA.

We have notions that winning and/or success cures all ills. An ugly fact of life is this just isn’t true. As we’re witnessing in the NHL, the inability of organizations to deal with success contributes to failure. This is also true in marriages. We don’t seem to talk about it though. Maybe we should.

• yougetoutwhatyouputin says:

We do see it differently and that is OK…

I understand that owners don’t finance arenas. My comment was in reference to the the operational cost via the lease.

The bottom line is owners/investors have more financial risk than players.

Don’t get me wrong as I want the players to live well and achieve many heights, however, I feel they have been blinded by $.

8. bc says:

Yeah it is okay we disagree. I still don’t get how “owners/investors have more financial risk than players” though. If Henry Samueli sells our Ducks he makes a profit or deducts the loss on his tax return. Even Jerry Moyes who lost a reported $300M in the Coyotes didn’t lose his fortune or career as founder, Chm. and CEO of Swift Transport.

On the other hand, if Nick Bonino fails to get a second NHL contract he’s done. Bones could probably make an OK living for a short while as a career minor leaguer, if he took an off season job instead of training.