Leafs fire Brian Burke

Posted: 01/09/2013 by bc in Uncategorized
Tags: , , ,

This a stunner. The timing, coming just four days before camps open after a four-month layoff is weird. The real reasons haven’t spilled my as yet. The best I can offer is that the new owners didn’t want Brian Burke as the face of their franchise.

Obviously somebody doesn’t like Brian Burke. Jeez, can’t imagine why, lol. The thing is, you don’t hire or fire a Brian Burke because you like or don’t like him. You hire and fire Burke on the basis of results and/or philosophy. If you’re firing Burke for philosophical reasons, you clean house. Leafs aren’t cleaning house. Replacing Brian Burke with his protegé, former Ducks VP Dave Nonis, is not a change in direction or philosophy.

This is all about office politics. Somebody doesn’t like Burkey.

Media chatter is suggesting the firing came because Burke wouldn’t trade for Roberta Loungo and his ten year cap at $5.3M per year. I find that hard to believe because I tend to respect that people aren’t that stupid. For one, you don’t fire a GM for a personnel decision about a goalie. Second, why take on Loungo’s contract when you can likely get him as a UFA when Vancouver buys him this summer?

I can leave that one for the Gossip Girls. Jeez, if it’s true though. The whackjobs are back in control of the Maple Laughs. Good luck Dave Nonis.

So fellow jilted Ducks fans, do we take him back? Would he come back?

About these ads
Comments
  1. bilverado says:

Interesting question — do you go with the guy who was largely the architect of the mess the Ducks are in, or stay with the guy who can’t seem to find a way out of it? Not sure Burke would be able to repeat and am reasonably sure that Murray will never get there.

• bc says:

Excellent assessment bilverado. Barstool Bob has created cap room. The Samuelis might be more inclined to spend with Burkie driving the bus.

• bbdux93 says:

The Ducks got the benefit of Chris Pronger’s (reported) messing around and his wife demanding distance between him and the reported honey. Without him could we have won the Cup ? ? I think that is the more important question. In addition to being a huge factor on the ice, I’ve read he was a voice in the locker room.

I don’t know who acquired Rob Neidermayer and I believe Scott only came here because he wanted to help him get his name on at least one Cup. Scott Neidermayer – a quiet, lead by example guy and Chris Pronger a loud “you’ll answer to me” (I think) guy – I mean how could you not win a Cup.

Murray as our GM – is a joke (or embarrassment) and IMO, discussing his accomplishments is a short conversation – at best.

• bc says:

Burke’s sudden availability might be surest way to reassign Bob Murray, bb..

Rob Niedermayer followed Bryan Murray here. The two had been together in Florida where Rob was a key component to their reaching the SCF.

2. bbdux93 says:

Hum – wonder what Mr & Mrs S might be thinking. From everything I read it sounds like Burke is well respected by hockey people.

• bc says:

Brian Burke is fascinating in part because his basic idea, SNARL or TRUCULENCE is becoming legislated out of the game.
      Burkie literally publicly mourned cutting Colton Orr loose and consistently argues for the enforcer. Unlike a pure showman like say Don cherry, there is substance to Burke’s advocacy. So yeah bb, Brian Burke has earned the respect of hockey people.
      We’ll never know what happened behind closed doors but IF the Leafs fired BB even in part based on the Loungo decision and he left our Ducks in part because the org preferred Nieds over Pronger, I stand with Burke in each of those decisions.

3. czhokej says:

When Burke went to Toronto, I warned the fans there that they should not expect a quick improvement. Many people say that Brian Burke was more lucky than smart (with Pronger and Scotty). But, as bilverado pointed out, he left a mess behind (here), when he got the job with the Leafs. I almost lost all the respect for him. His deals in Toronto were questionable, to say the least.

• bc says:

Can’t argue the facts, cz and bilverado are spot on. BB left a mess. He made some questionable moves with the Leafs.
      I’m seeing Brian Burke’s availability as the best opportunity to relieve Bob Murray of the GM duties. Would you make that move cz?

4. czhokej says:

I would say no. Even though it would be an improvement.

5. yougetoutwhatyouputin says:

Boston is hating this news, LOL!