5 Keys to Ducks success

Posted: 01/16/2013 by bc in Uncategorized
Tags: , , , , , , ,

By order of importance;

1. Goaltending: According to GM Bob Murray, Jonas Hiller is healthy. As Ducks News reported Murph said Hillsy wasn’t healthy at the start of last season. When healthy, Hillsy is among the NHL’s best. Arguably top 5. In the new NHL,which eliminated clutch and grab and hockey to speed up the game, goal tending is even more important. We may never again see a team like the 90’s Wings win with average net-minding.
Ducks have high hopes in Viktor Fasth who could see somewhere in the neighborhood 12-15 games, so long as he’s effective. Less if he isn’t.

2. Total Effort: You can’t win if you can’t outscore the opposition.The goal- tending is strong enough to give us a chance to win on most nights. Hiller is known to steal a game now and then. For every hockey player the fun starts when your team has the puck. Getting and keeping the puck is the work. Our Ducks need to dominate on both sides of the puck, when they have it and when they don’t. The quickest way to see and measure total effort is by position and structure. Are we strong inside such that we force the opposition outside regardless who has the puck.

3. Intangibles: The better the team, the fewer question marks as camps open. Our Ducks have three. The infusion of youth will bring speed. The new big guys, Souray, Allen, Winnick & Staubitz add the snarl. There’s a nice mix of vets at or near their peak years in Perry, Ryan, Getzlaf, Cogliano, Beauchemin and Lydman.  Gabby’s organizing and everybody plays approach will encourage a team first culture. While this team obviously lacks the talent of our Cup squad it’s the best balanced team since.

4. Schedule: As Gabby says, “There’s a very fine line between a groove and a rut.” In a shortened season featuring many consecutive games against the same team, there is no time to slip into ruts. The key to competing game in, game out is between game maintenance. For the guys who haven’t been playing, getting in game shape quickly. Luckily we’re likely only breaking in 4 completely new guys. Familiarity favors our Ducks.

5.  Sacrifice: Every player has sacrificed to get to the NHL. it’s different for every guy. Can they sacrifice for each other though? Can they suck it up instead of retaliating and taking a dumb penalty? Is each willing to take a hit to make a pass? Will they block shots?

As noted, the mix of talent and skill sets seems complete. There’s a nice balance of experience and youth, skill and snarl. It’s a team with three accomplished and recognized stars in Corey Perry, Jonas Hiller and Teemu Selanne. We have lots of solid veteran leadership in Koivu, Winnick, Cogliano, Beauchemin, Lydman, Souray and Allen.

Not many are picking our Ducks for a the playoffs. They have the parts to surprise.

About these ads
Comments
  1. rainmaker97 says:

Perry, Getzlaf, and Ryan have to bounce back from last season; this will solve a lot of the Ducks’ problems in one fell swoop. They have one of the best forward lines in the NHL, but they need that line to produce like all get out. I love Selanne as much as the next guy, but he shouldn’t be the Ducks’ top scorer with Perry, Getzlaf, and Ryan on the team.

• bc says:

Totally agree on the need for Perry, Getzlaf and Ryan to have bounce back seasons, rainmaker97. Doesn’t look like Gabby will play Getzlaf-Ryan-Perry on the same line.
      Coach told Ryan at the exit interview last season that he intended to build a line around him this year. I haven’t visited camp yet but from the reports Palmieri has skated with the Twins while Ryan is alongside Bonino and Teemu. Koivu-Cogliano-Winnick round out the the top nine.

BTW, I edited h_e_double hockey sticks out of your post as cussing isn’t permitted. The purpose is to maintain a G rating here at WordPress. You’re welcome to get creative though. I’ve used effen and F-bomb when quoting Bruce Boudreau :)

• rainmaker97 says:

Ah, sorry dude. I wasn’t aware of the rule, but rest assured, I will certainly abide by it in the future. Thanks for the insight into the lines…it’ll be interesting to see how they adjust. Boudreau is a smart coach though, so I tend to trust him.

• bc says:

No biggie rainmaker97. The only other rule is ‘Attack the post, not the poster.’
        Yeah, Coach Boudreau is an easy guy to like. Most mainstream media think his team lacks the tools to make the playoffs.
        I wouldn’t be so quick to write them off.
        Your Avs are also easily dismissed by corporate media. And for reasons similar to our Ducks. A #1 center who might actually be a strong #2 but miscast in the #1 role. A great young D-man in Erik Johnson who has yet to live up to the hype.
        Sherman improved the D, bringing in stay@home shot blocker Greg Zanon and the sandpaper in former Shane O’Brien. Late bloomer PA Parenteau is a skilled point producer If Stastny, Duchene and O’Reilly are clicking, Avs will be among the NHL’s best down the middle.
        In a short schedule the playoff race will be thrilling, go right down to the wire and we should see some surprises.

• bbdux93 says:

I think Palmieri is not the best option on the Getz/Perry line. I don’t recall him or his style of play anymore than to say he’s not the big body I think the “twins” need.

• bc says:

Kyle does bring more speed and skill than sandpaper bb. Don’t know that he’s won the job yet. If he does though Getz’ big guy backup could come from the point rather than on his wing. Most likely Bryan Allen ES and Sheldon Souray on the PP.

2. czhokej says:

As usual, I have to agree with bb. Palmieri does not have it for the top line. Or at least I think he doesn’t. But I do not want to pretend that I am smarter than the coach. So why not DSP?

Even though when we compare TOI and number of games Palmieri played, his 4 goals represent better productivity than Getzlaf’s 11. Or when I did my calculations, Getzlaf would have to score 34 goals last season to equal Palmieri’s goal production. Moreover, I did not consider count PP time in my arithmetic (Getz played 301 minutes of PP, Palmieri 17).

Rainmaker made a very good point about our top players (Getz, Perry, Ryan). They have to show why they are paid big bucks. Especially because we have some aging stars, and they will score less this season.

Like a little kid, every year I like to make some predictions and list of expectations. How much scoring do we expect from or Ds?
    Souray 8 goals (?), Allen, Lydman 1 (?), Beachemin, Fowler, Sbisa 4 each (?).
    However, even strong scoring from a blue line will not help too much, if our top three players do not add at least 50 goals combined.

• bc says:

LOL, yeah, you and bb are always ganging up on me. Guess I should go eat worms, eh.
      DSP hasn’t had a good year in Norfolk. He’ll get a look with the Twins but I sense Maroon is ahead of him in Gabby’s mind. At least for the moment. (Note: Maroon was sent back to Norfolk today.)
      Palmieri’s 4 goals in 18 games last season pro rates to 18 goals over 82 games. That’s very close to Chris Kunitz’ 19 and 25 goal seasons on the Big Line. Palmieri got his as a third liner though. He’s earned the shot.
      Also, putting Getz big guy backup on the point instead of the wing will change how they cycle the puck as well. They won’t just cycle but they will wheel when a D attacks low and a forward slips back to the point.
      I really don’t disagree with cz and bb about the preference for a more physical forward alongside the Twins. At the trade deadline last season when the Gossip Girl chatter suggested Brendan Morrow was available I advocated for re-uniting the Gold Medal Line here in Anaheim.
      Now I’m recognizing the reality that KP could be the guy. Also, Palmieri does have a lot in common with Chris Kunitz, particularly in size and skating ability. Kyle can learn to be more physical. Kunitz uses his speed to be physically aggressive.

• bbdux93 says:

If KP can bring what Kunitz did then I’d be OK with that. As I recall it Chris brought more than a bit of snarl along with his speed – does Kyle have that in him ???
        If we’re talking a smaller fast guy on the top line I think the argument goes back to why not use Cogs

• bc says:

We might see Cogs there if KP isn’t ready or doesn’t fit. Right now it looks like it’s Palmieri’s job to lose.

3. czhokej says:

I have to explain my calculations of Palmieri’s productivity, even though I am going to make an argument against my statement above. I took into consideration mainly time on ice. Palmieri played total 207 minutes the whole season, and Getzlaf 1,771. So Getzlaf spent 8 times more minutes on the ice. I did not know how to prorate PP time, but that would be too complicated for these hypothetical calculations. In conclusion, bc, these numbers support your opinion and not mine. Especially with PP time and players’ assignments.

• bc says:

Ah Bud, I don’t see my role here in terms of right, wrong. We all put our pants on one leg at a time. Every post gets a response because you deserve one. And two, I try to build or add to what you’re seeing not correct it. Your eye for the game is very sharp.
      Are you familiar with behindthenet? Corsi stats? That is the next evolution in hockey. Check it out and report back. Note, I still challenge Corsi though ;) And goalie stats leave a lot to be desired. But that’s just me :) I could be wrong.

4. czhokej says:

I have checked that website (behindthenet) and found it interesting. I believe that stats may help with the predictions (especially if you bet). However, I am not an expert in statistics, and they are many things in hockey that cannot be expressed and summarized in numbers and mathematical formulas. I know that many netminders keep their own stats on different players – where, when and how they like to shoot, what kind of moves they use frequently, etc. That’s probably a good example of mathematical probability at work. Similar methods are used in diagnostic medicine and many other scientific disciplines. I also go and study stats, both team and individual, to get some info about their potential. It may help to better understand the strengths and weaknesses of each opponent. But there are always intangibles, like self-sacrifice, passion, team spirit and camaraderie, luck and other factors. (And I do not know where to put strategy and tactics). If I try to define my opinion, I would say that I like to look at hockey as a form of art, and too much math may take away some of that beauty, surprise and mystery.